Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Miscellany

in no particular order...

(1)Lost Episode: "The Constant"
If I had known that there was the possibility of a hottie Scottish dude randomly showing up in my physics lab, I would have stayed in research. :)

A general Lost comment: so far, we've had a Sayid episode & a Desmond episode where we have seen them not "island-disheveled" (i.e., nice clothes, nice hair, & in Des' case, no wildman beard) and all I can say is purrrrr.... me=happy.

(2) Tenure update
The board of trustees has granted me tenure. Yay!

(3) Kaylee has a beau (J, that's the other Kaylee)


Kaylee(left) with her new boyfriend, Levi. How cute are they? I haven't met Levi, but I can tell from this picture that he is a total goofball.

(4) Stolen Wallet
My wallet was stolen out of my briefcase in my office today while I was in class. They left my cell phone & laptop so I'm not complaining. They tried to use my credit cards at Wal-mart - my credit card companies suspected fraud right away. I guess they know I'm a Target girl. The DMV was a surprisingly pain-free experience (I think it helped that I had my passport; even though it was expired, the DMV woman was thrilled that I had the foresight to bring it. I'm pretty sure I saved her from doing paperwork.) No new picture or anything; it will come in the mail - yay, technology! I will miss my DKNY wallet which I'd had forever - it was of the softest black leather & it was best crafted wallet I've ever owned. [Sidenote ~ Dear Chase Bank: your automated phone system sucks; how about adding an option for reporting lost or stolen cards at the TOP menu?]

(5) Homelife & Daemons
Lola & I were thrilled to have Jessica come for a visit. We had a great time. Thanks again for coming out. We did many things (which J has mentioned on her blog), including going to Wicked. It was fabulous!

J also left me her copy of The Golden Compass (thanks, again, J!). I really liked the combination of elementary particle physics, religion & fantasy. I have to love a book that uses the collapse of a wave function as a metaphor for when things fall apart. [I suppose I should have included a "warning: geek alert" warning before that.] I enjoyed the idea of every person having their own daemon & it made me wonder: what do you think your daemon would be? [That's not rhetorical - I want to know what you think yours would be.] And if you were a daemon, what shape animal do you think you would be? [Also not rhetorical.] For me, I'm not sure...the animals I've had the most affinity for are dogs (I was even born in the year of the Dog), wolves, dolphins, hawks/eagles & geckos so maybe my daemon be one of those. If I were a daemon, I'd probably end up being some type of bird - I'd love to be able to fly like that.

(6)Movie News
Indy's Back! I don't know if it will suffer from the "Even-number" curse, but it's Indy so I'll be there.

I recently saw the tv ad for Iron Man & while I would not have pictured Robert Downey, Jr as Tony Stark, I'm willing to give it a shot because I have a bit of nostalgia for Iron Man. When I was kid, my brother Dave read Iron Man comics so I got to read them, too - now that I think about it, they may have been the first comic book I ever read. At the time, Tony Stark was fighting his alcoholism and I was fascinated by this idea of a "hero" having such personal demons. I was still pretty young, so the idea of the hero not being "perfect" was fairly novel to me. (I wonder how much that influenced the fact that I like 'em tall, dark & handsome?) Hey, Susan, your boy Favreau directed it, so you have to go with me. ;)



That's my life, in a nutshell.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congrats on officially getting tenure.. S & T